NEXT VOTE: Fl House Oversight, Transparency and Public Management Subcommittee, 01/29/20, 8:00 am, Morris Hall
Jan 21 House Update: HJR157 passed the House PreK-12 Innovation committee by a vote of 13-4!
This 2020 session, the Florida Legislature has introduced HJR 157 sponsored by Rep. Sabatini in the House and SJR1480 sponsored by Sen. Book for term limits on Florida school boards.
Read press release here.
BENEFITS OF 8-YEAR TERM LIMITS ON SCHOOL BOARD MEMBERS
- Term limits foster regular, open-seat elections.
- Term limits encourage independence by the school board, as term limits will regularly sever the relationships that grow between special interests and incumbent board members.
- Term limits improve citizen access to the process, encourage candidates to run for office and work on meaningful campaigns, and increase voter participation in elections.
- Term limits encourage new faces and fresh ideas. Incumbent members often have their heels dug in over past political battles or are wedded to the special interests they have relied on for reelection.
- Term limits mandate rotation in office which expands the circle of citizens with intimate knowledge of how the school board works.
- Term limits encourage transparency and discourage corruption.
Term Limits create a level playing field between the School Board and Florida’s other political offices, most of which have an eight-year term limit.