HJR 1461 (Rep. Sam Garrison) PASSED the Florida House! Next stop the state senate. Click to view PR here.
BENEFITS OF 8-YEAR TERM LIMITS ON SCHOOL BOARD MEMBERS
- Term limits foster regular, open seat elections.
- Term limits encourage independence by the school board, as term limits will regularly sever the relationships that grow between special interests and incumbent board members.
- Term limits improve citizen access to the process, encourage candidates to run for office and work on meaningful campaigns, and increase voter participation in elections.
- Term limits encourage new faces and fresh ideas. Incumbent members often have their heels dug in over past political battles or are wedded to the special interests they have relied on for reelection.
- Term limits mandate rotation in office which expands the circle of citizens with intimate knowledge of how the school board works.
- Term limits encourage transparency and discourage corruption.
- Term limits create a level playing field between the school board and Florida’s other political offices, most of which have an eight-year term limit.